Maybe you like to use fruit because of the biodegradable aspect or maybe you’re just flat broke.
Either way, having some good homemade handpipe recipes in your repertoire is something every smoker, both casual, and full-timers should have in their back pocket.
How to Make a Pipe out of Fruits and Veggies
The fastest, easiest, and tastiest way to make a pipe is to make it out of fruits and veggies.
In fact, there probably isn’t a fruit or vegetable out there that you couldn’t make a homemade pipe out of, a lot of them are better served hanging out in the fruit drawer, though.
Here is a list of the best fruits and vegetables you can make a pipe out of with:
How to Make an Apple Pipe
- Use a hollowed out pen to pierce a hole, at an angle, all the way through the Apple.
- Remove the stem and pierce a hole through the apple until you connect the two holes.
Pro Tip: Instead of piercing the hole for the bowl with the hollowed out pen, you can use the tiny cylinder piece that holds the ink to pierce a tiny hole from the bowl (the area where the stem is) to the larger hole. You do this to create a better sealed airway, and also prevent anything from flying down your throat!
How to Make Jalapeno Pipe
- Pop out the stem
- Bite off the other end
Damn, that was easy… it’s awesome too if you are a fan of spicy food!
How to Make a Highlighter Pipe
If you are looking to make a more permanent hand pipe, then a highlighter pipe might be for you.
They are simple to make, but they are durable and can last quite a long time.
The Materials You Will Need
- Gut the highlighter
- Place the screen in the socket
- Jam the socket in the back end of the highlighter
How to Make a Starburst Pipe
Just when you thought candy couldn’t get any better…
The Materials You Will Need
- Full Package of Starbursts
- Razor Blade
- Unpackage all of the Starbursts.
- One by one, pierce them with the screwdriver right down the centers of the candy. Make sure to set aside three pieces, two for the bowl and one for the end cap.
- Use a razor blade to cut off the excess candy.
- Firmly press all of the Starbursts on the screwdriver together.
- Firmly press the two pieces for the bowl together.
- Carefully remove the pieces from the screwdriver, it should be one solid piece now.
- Now, take the piece you set aside for your end cap and firmly place it at one end of the Starbursts to close the hole.
- Pierce a hole with the screwdriver through the two pieces of Starburst you set aside for your bowl.
- Widen out the hole at the top, to create a good sized bowl.
- Pierce a hole in the top of the Starburst just before the end piece to connect the opening of the bowl to the opening in the rest of the Starburst.
- Finally, firmly connect the bowl to the rest of the Starburst.
Pro Tip: If you need to soften up the candies to get them to stick, place them in the microwave for ten seconds.
Foil and Aluminum Can Pipes
For a lot of people, these are the first options that come to mind when they think homemade hand pipe.
I, however, don’t recommend you turn to them for help.
There has been a lot of back and forth over whether smoking from aluminum has any link to Alzheimer's disease or not, and personally, even if there is speculation of a link… I’m out.
It’s not just that, though, aluminum cans can also have BPA that is thought to lead to cancer.
Not to mention the paint on the outside of an aluminum can!
Yea, you don’t wanna be smoking that!
Now, while I will always recommend a glass pipe as the method to get the best flavor out of your smoke, you should learn how to make a hand pipe to have the knowledge for emergency and just to try something new!
So get out there and make a Starburst or Jalapeno pipe!
What's your favorite homemade pipe? Let me know in the comments!