How to Make Cannamilk: Dairy and Non-Dairy Recipes
Why not add a kick to your morning coffee or tea that will not only replace your dairy but get you nicely stoned?
As any cannabis enthusiast knows, marijuana is a plant that just keeps on giving.
It can be smoked or consumed in so many ways that it not only feels great but produces several health benefits.
Those who have been searching for a replacement for their dairy products and love ingesting their weed will love cannamilk.
It can be made with both dairy products and non-dairy milk such as almond milk so it can be enjoyed by all lifestyles.
Here’s all you need to know about cannamilk, how to make it in both dairy and non-dairy forms, and what you can use it for.
Cannamilk: The Basics
Also known as marijuana milk, cannamilk is a cooking product that can be as versatile as cannabutter and cannaoil.
It can be used to make various edibles and beverages.
The difference between cannamilk and other canna products is that it has a higher water concentrate rather than fat content.
With this low-fat content, however, your THC may not be activated as strong as when it’s converted into products such as oils, but this doesn’t mean cannamilk can’t get you high.
The consistency, as well as THC content of cannamilk, allows you to add more volume to your recipes without making a product that will get you too stoned.
Cannamilk is a perfect enhancement to your edibles, your cereal, and your smoothies, coffee, tea, juice or other favorite beverage.
How to Make Cannamilk (Dairy)
For those who love a dairy infusion into their edibles and drink recipes, here is a simple recipe that uses cow’s milk as a base.
This recipe will yield about 1L of liquid.
What You’ll Need:
- 1L of full-fat milk
- 4 joint’s worth of ground up weed*
*The recipe estimates around 25g of ground up marijuana, but the general rule of thumb is to use 1 joint’s worth of weed per ¼L of milk
- A good pot or a double boiler
How to Make It:
- Bring your milk to a boil and let it simmer using a direct flame (super carefully – don’t burn your milk!), or ideally using a double boiler
- Bit by bit, begin adding your cannabis to your milk, being sure to stir thoroughly until your cannabis is completely submerged in the milk
- Allow your milk to simmer for about 35-40 minutes while stirring regularly. You’ll begin to see your milk turn yellowish green.
- Remove the milk from the heat source and strain completely through a cheese cloth. Carefully squeeze the cheesecloth to ensure you get every last bit of moisture from your cannabis into your milk
- Allow the product to cool and serve right away, or keep some in your fridge for a couple of days to be able to cook with or stir into your beverages
This recipe can be doubled, tripled, etc.
But the more milk you add, the more cannabis you need to add.
How to Make Nut-Based Cannamilk
The method to make nut-based cannamilk is very similar to that of dairy-based. However, there are a few things to be adjusted.
This recipe produces a little over 2C of liquid and can be doubled, tripled, etc. for the desired yield.
What You’ll Need
- 1/4 cup of ground almonds
- 2C water
- Ground cannabis (1 g is recommended in this recipe, but your desired potency is up to you!)
- Food processor
- A good pot
How to Make It:
- Grind your almonds and the water in your food processor until it resembles a milky consistency
- Strain your almond milk through a cheesecloth
- Add your almond milk to your pot and bring to a slow boil
- Add your cannabis bit by bit until it becomes submerged in the liquid
- Allow the concoction to simmer for about 45 minutes
- Remove from heat* and serve right away or keep it in your fridge to use in your favorite recipes or your daily beverages
*You may choose to strain your milk through cheesecloth again, depending on your desired consistency – be sure to get all the green out!
Making Cannamilk with Other Milk & Non-Dairy Based Products
Since dietary preferences are so diverse and there is a huge availability of milk-based and milk-like products on the market, cannamilk can be made with most varieties of milk.
Whether you’re using an animal-based milk like cow or goats milk or non-dairy milk like almond, rice, coconut or soy, the principles of the making of cannamilk remain the same.
The biggest thing you’ll want to be aware of is choosing the highest fat content in your milk product.
It's this fat content that will activate and hold your THC.
Enjoy! And Cook with it!
Once you’ve successfully made your cannamilk, you’ll be able to enjoy it in many products.
For edibles and other culinary recipes, you can use cannamilk as a cooking sauce to bring that cannabis-kick to your food.
For your beverages, it can easily be added to your hot bevvies or blended into a smoothie, juice or any other kind of drink.
Because cannamilk can seem like an unassuming and safe product, it’s easy to consume too much.
As with any edibles, be sure you’re aware of your dosing and don’t be so quick to chug your cannamilk.
Or do, cause, well, you know, marijuana ain't never hurt no one.
But, seriously, take a little, and give it some time to see how you’re feeling before using too much.
Overall, cannamilk is a creative, easy-to-make and fun cannabis product to enjoy.
Be creative with your recipes and find ways that you can use your cannamilk to its full potential as a fun edible treat.