What’s The Difference? Glass vs Titanium vs Quartz Nails
Oil dab rigs are still relatively new to a lot of smokers, so we get asked all the time what the difference between a glass, titanium and a quartz nail is. Like everything, everyone is going to have their personal preference, but keep reading for our recommendation and what you need to know about each type
A Glass nail is usually what a basic dab rig comes with. You might be thinking, “That’s awesome!”. After all, glass has been king for so long. Well, folks, we’re in the new day and age where vaping is king!
When it comes to nails, glass is the worst choice. The tend to break easily from being heated up.
- Ceramic Nails take an average of 30+ seconds to heat up
- Repeated use can cause stress fractures
- Retains heat longer than any other type of nail
- Doesn’t need to be seasoned
- Cheaper price point
Ceramic needles are a good step up from glass, and their heat retention properties make it a favorite to many.
- Titanium nails take about 15-25 seconds to heat up
- Heat retention is excellent
- Almost impossible to break
- Needs to be properly seasoned before use
- Most expensive type of nail
Titanium nails are the strongest and longest lasting of the nails. Their big downside, however, is the price when compared to your glass and quartz needle.
- Quartz nails heat up the fastest; it only takes 5-10 seconds!
- Heat retention is poor
- Weaker material than titanium, but stronger than glass
- Ready to go from the shop, no need to season
- Can break from overheating and dropping, but less likely to when compared to glass
- Mid-range price
Quartz nails are the favorite of a majority of people. With smokers often claiming, they like the taste better with a quartz nail. While the heat retention is poor, you are usually heating up the nail between uses anyhow, so this never really effects your desired outcome.
My Nail of Choice?
It’s hard to say which one is the best since the all have their benefits as well flaws. If I had to say which one is the best, though, I would have to go with a quartz nail. I love how fast they heat up compared to other types of nails and that you don’t have to season it.
What’s your favorite type of nail? Let me know on in the comments section!